Activity: Create a ‘Getting Started’ or ‘Week 0’ module in Canvas to introduce your students to the course.
Click on each step for more details and links.
In your Canvas course you’ll need to add a new module.
- Option #1 (recommended): Create a recording using Screencast-O-Matic.
- Getting a Screencast-O-Matic account through UMW will provide you with external hosting space as well as access to an automatic closed captioning feature.
- Option #2: Create a recording on YouTube.
- Option #3: Create a recording right within Canvas.
- Note: Video recordings made directly in Canvas will rapidly take up your storage space. Only use this option if you plan on 1 or 2 videos. These videos will not have closed captioning.
- Record your ‘tour’ by sharing your screen. You can create a screencast with Screencast-O-Matic
- Embed the video ‘tour’ in your module
The last step is publishing the module so your students can see. If you are still working on future modules you can leave them unpublished until you are ready for students to see them or lock them until a certain date.