By default, you are given 1 GB of storage space within your Canvas course. If you have reached the 1 GB limit in your Canvas course please contact Digital Learning Support (firstname.lastname@example.org) to discuss alternative storage options like OneDrive, YouTube, or Screencast-o-matic to supplement your course file storage needs.
There are 3 types of file storage in Canvas:
- Course File Storage
- Group File Storage
- Personal File Storage
Course File Storage #
Course file storage is set at a default of 1 GB per course. Files that count against the course storage limits are as follows:
- Any files uploaded into the course content.
Personal File Storage #
Personal File Storage is set at a default of 100 MB per user. Files that count against the personal storage limits are as follows:
- Files uploaded directly into your personal file storage area
- Files uploaded to ungraded assignments
- Files uploaded to ungraded discussions
- Files attached to “Conversations” (Inbox/Email)
- Files that are submitted as part of a graded assignment or Graded discussion will appear in your personal file storage area, but they will not count against your quota.
- Files that are submitted as part of a graded assignment cannot be deleted from your personal file storage area.
- Assignment submissions cannot exceed 5 GB. However, media uploads cannot exceed 500 MB.
- Files submitted to previous courses (courses that have been concluded) are not automatically deleted from the student’s personal file storage area.
Group File Storage #
Group file storage is set at a default of 50 MB per course. Files that count against the course storage limits are as follows:
- Any files uploaded into the group by the group members and/or instructor.
Canvas Media Comparison #
Canvas provides a guide to show the pros and cons for media content in Canvas, Studio, and mobile products. Please note that UMW does not have Studio. Some media types are not saved for reuse, so you may need to consider a different method depending on the media type.